I read these historical quotes in Tom Deuschle’s book ‘Building People Building Dreams’ …
- ‘Airplanes are toys of no military value’ Ferdinand Foch, 1851-1929, French soldier and professor of military strategy
- ‘The mission Columbus has proposed is folly… the Atlantic Ocean is infinite and impossible to travel’ Talevera Commission, 1491
- There is no need for the Patent Office. Everything that could be invented has been invented’ – Head of the US Patent Office in the 1890’s
- ‘Who wants to hear actor’s talk?’ H.M. Warner, 1881-1958 regarding the possibility of talking movies replacing silent movies
- ‘We have reached the limits of what is possible to achieve with computer technology’ – John Von Neumann, in 1959
- ‘There is a world market for maybe five computers’ – Thomas Watson Jr, 1914-1993, founder of IBM
One of my mentors, Pastor Oscar Muriu once said ‘Never limit the greatness of God by the size of your vision’. If your dreams don’t scare you, then your dreams are too small! Similarly, never measure out what you will live for by the size of your bank account. The bible in Psalm 37:4 says ‘delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart’. As we spend time with God, He gives us God-sized dreams that require God-sized provision.
David Allen Hubbard, former president of Fuller Seminary is credited with the quote, ‘the only Institutions that have enough resources to perform their tasks are those with small visions’. I think the same is true for people! So… ask God for big dreams. And then… let the adventure begin!